[analogy with drop-outs] Spurious characters appearing on a terminal or console as a result of line noise or a system malfunction of some sort. Especially used when these are interspersed with one's own typed input.

[Jargon File]

Try this search on Wikipedia, OneLook, Google

Nearby terms:

drop cable « drop-down list « drop-down menu « drop-ins » drop on the floor » drop-outs » DrScheme